Electric fireplaces are hot this year! An electric fireplace provides heat, but without the use of fuel or fire. A digital display adds to its allure and gives the warm visuals you would expect to see within a traditional fireplace.
An electric fireplace is a popular option for homes, offices, and businesses everywhere. Energy efficient electric fireplaces can warm up to 400 feet’ worth of space.
Having such an energy efficient item can make your home more sustainable.
They are also considered safer than fire or fuel heating; an electric fireplace is energy efficient and produces no carbon emissions.
Here are the best energy-efficient electric fireplaces to buy, and your guide to how electric fireplaces work.
Table of Contents
- What are the benefits of an electric fireplace?
- What’s the best energy efficient electric fireplace?
- Best Energy Efficient Electric Fireplaces
- 1. R.W. Flame 60″ Recessed & Wall Mounted Electric Fireplace
- 2. SEI Furniture Canyon Heights Faux Stacked Stone Electric Fireplace
- 3. Touchstone Sideline Elite 60 Smart sixtyinch Wifi Electric Fireplace
- 4. Touchstone Antiglare Sideline 50
- 5. Ameriwood Lamont Mantel Fireplace
- 6. SEI Furniture Seneca Fireplace New White
- 7. Rintuf Electric Fireplace Freestanding 26″ w Mantel
- 8. R.W. Flame 32″ Electric Fireplace Insert Freestanding
- 9. Best for Budgets: Selectric Electric Fireplace Stove
- FAQ About Electric Fireplaces
- How does an electric fireplace work?
- Does an electric fireplace require experience to install?
- Where can you put an electric fireplace?
- Where can’t you put an electric fireplace?
- Does an electric fireplace use flames or fire?
- How much area can an electric fireplace warm up?
- Will the front glass of an electric fireplace warm up?
- Does an electric fireplace need ventilation?
- Can electric fireplaces be used outdoors?
- Can you use an electric fireplace outside?
- But should you leave an electric fireplace outdoors?
What are the benefits of an electric fireplace?
- Energy Efficient: An electric fireplace is energy efficient, and only uses a couple of units-per-hour to produce constant heat. It costs much less to run than traditional forms of fuel or combustion heating.
- Atmosphere: An electric fireplace adds to the atmosphere of a living space. There’s nothing better than sitting by the fire – although less houses have traditional fireplaces. The electric-energy efficient product option gives you all the visuals, but none of the danger.
- Heat: An electric fireplace produces heat via its heating element, and it can warm up at least 400 square feet in just a few minutes. For larger heating needs, wood pellet heaters can warm up spaces of up to 2,800 square feet at a time – but they can be more expensive and heavier than electric fireplaces.
- Carbonless: Thanks to its heating element, an electric fireplace doesn’t require actual fire or fuel. This means that the use of an electric fireplace produces zero potentially harmful emissions, dust or soot. This makes the electric fireplace popular for anyone with lung or breathing conditions.
- Sleek Design: An electric fireplace provides a sleek, appropriate look. Most electric fireplaces look almost exactly like a real fireplace. If you’ve ever imagined sitting by a fire but don’t want to have to light one, here’s your answer.
- Safer and Cheaper: Electric fireplaces are safer and cheaper than traditional forms of heating. Fuel, gas and even wood pellets can be expensive if you want to warm your home. Electric fireplaces are about as cheap to run as a small fridge.
Related Resources: Best Conservation Posters
What’s the best energy efficient electric fireplace?
That’s what the rest of this article is about. R.W. Flame, SEI Furniture and Touchstone all produce energy-efficient electric fireplaces that can warm up a space of up to 400 square feet.
To choose the best model for you, let’s go over the best electric fireplace models online.
Here’s your guide to how electric fireplaces work, their best features, and how to make sure you buy the best one.
Best Energy Efficient Electric Fireplaces
R.W. Flame has been in the business of creating warmth for decades, and they make one of the most trusted brands in existence. The Recessed Electric Fireplace measures in at a height of 18.1″ and has 2 adjustable power levels (either 750w or 1, 000w).
Depending on your mood, there are 12 different color modes and 5 different brightness & speed levels to choose from.
The electric fireplace product has an added sleep function, which will shut off the heater according to a preset timer.
One more thing: R.W. Flame ships their products with an additional 1-year warranty that covers any basic repairs for around 365 days.
Related Resources: Best Compostable Plates
The SEI Furniture Canyon Heights Faux Stacked Stone Electric Fireplace is one of the best energy efficient electric fireplaces out there.
It promises to warm up to 400 square feet, and has a fancy 33″ widescreen display for a perfect view of the virtual flames.
A remote control allows fine control over settings: users can even access the system logs to find where their heat settings were set a few days back.
The mantel supports up to 85 lbs of distributed weight. If you would like to stack things on it just like a traditional fireplace, go for the Stacked Stone Electric Fireplace.
Poplar wood veneer provides the traditional look.
Related Resources: Best Compost Bags
The Touchstone Sideline Elite 60 provides a 60″ view of the flames and is made for recessed wall installation – though also fine to install if you have a flat space. It runs hot and warms up to 400 square feet in minutes.
Different heat settings are controlled by a remote, or via its display.
The Sideline Elite also gives the user complete control, with 6 fancy flame options and 3 different speed settings.
Related Resources: Are Double Ovens More Energy Efficient?
The Touchstone Antiglare Sideline 50 warms up to 400 square feet and makes one of the easiest electric fireplaces to install. Just place it where you’d like it, and plug it straight into the wall.
A log set is an included extra, to add to the traditional fireplace feel – and a nice added 3D effect unique to this model. Glass remains cool to the touch, and special anti-glare glass guarantees an undisturbed view of the virtual fire.
One more high-tech feature of this model? Detailed logs, so you can find and save your ideal heat setting.
The Touchstone is perfect if you need a traditional-looking, easy-to-install electric fireplace unit on a budget.
Related Resources: Best Biodegradable Glitters for Candles
The Best Affordable Electric Fireplace Heater
The Ameriwood Lamont Mantel Fireplace is great for the most traditional look, and one of the best affordable electric fireplace heaters out there.
A 26″ display provides a wonderful and warm atmosphere. The touchpad allows its user to control the heat settings, or access the system logs to find their perfect heat.
It’s more than just something pretty to look at: you can also put up to 30lbs of weight on the shelf. Two people are recommended to install this unit: it can be a little difficult to move into the right angle on your own.
Ameriwood has a 1-year warranty that covers the most common repairs, like most Ameriwood products.
Related Resources: Best Solar Refrigerators and Freezers
The Best Faux Stone Electric Fireplace
The SEI Furniture Seneca Fireplace is available in white and great for creating a faux-stone look in your space. The added support means that you can stack at least 10 lbs worth of weight on the shelf, finished with poplar veneer.
It warms up to 400 square feet in a couple of minutes.
Surprisingly, the SEI Furniture model has one more great feature: a 6″ power cord.
See Related: Eco Friendly-Space Heaters
The Rinfun Electric Fireplace provides a traditional fireplace look and a 26″ display in order to look at the view. Anti-glare ensures that you can still get a clear and uninterrupted view of the flames.
It’s one of the more advanced electric heaters out there, with the option of 3 heat modes and 7 different flame settings. Two different modes allow for the heater to be set to either 750w to 1000w.
Special anti-overheating protection ensures that the unit shuts off when it’s left alone. Rintuf has a special sleep mode that can dim the lighting or heat with a setting.
Related Resources: Energy Conservation Techniques to Know
The R.W. Flame brand is well-known for their heaters and electric fireplaces. The 32″ Electric Fireplace Insert produces up to 750w to 1500w of power – and it’s enough to warm up at least 450 square feet.
While smaller, it produces just enough heat and atmosphere to make it a great affordable electric fireplace for the home.
An electric control panel and remote allow fine control over its settings: 3 different heat settings are available.
Like most R.W. Flame products, it’s also covered by a 1-year warranty for the most common repairs.
See Related: Best Clothing Companies That Plant Trees
9. Best for Budgets: Selectric Electric Fireplace Stove
The Selectric Electric Fireplace Stove is one of the best electric fireplace stoves to buy on a budget. It provides up to 400 square feet, and the perfect traditional fireplace looks – with very adjustable brightness settings.
Control the different heat and flame settings on the display, or with the included remote. It’s that easy.
A 1-year warranty covers basic repairs on the product.
Related Resources: Do Energy Efficient Light Bulbs Give Off Radiation?
FAQ About Electric Fireplaces
Electric fireplaces are gorgeous to look at.
The right electric fireplace for your space adds the feel of a traditional fireplace, but without the harmful emissions or potential danger of an open fire.
Is this your first electric fireplace?
How does an electric fireplace work?
An electric fireplace uses electricity and a heating element to create warmth. Lights and an electronic display help to create the traditional atmosphere and feel that you would expect from a real, regular fireplace. Unlike fires and fuel heaters, an electric fireplace is environmentally friendly and easy to use.
Does an electric fireplace require experience to install?
None at all. An electric fireplace just plugs right into the wall with a standard 110v plug. It’s best to put an electric fireplace against a wall, where you will get enough distributed heat throughout the whole space.
Fuel heating can be comparatively difficult or require an expert to install. Open fireplaces are also a much less common sight in homes due to the amount of upkeep they require.
Where can you put an electric fireplace?
An electric fireplace is best secured against a wall. Most electric fireplace models come with wall mounts to make installation easy. The wall mounts are pretty basic and work almost like a television wall mount. Those that do not come with mounts are meant to be completely freestanding.
Where can’t you put an electric fireplace?
Electric fireplaces can be used indoors, and in most rooms in your home or office.
But it’s best to avoid the use of an electric fireplace in a bathroom. Humidity doesn’t go together with the use of heating or elements.
Related Resources: Best Compostable Straws
Does an electric fireplace use flames or fire?
No, and that’s one of the best things about one.
Electricity provides artificial flames, and warms up the room via the heating element.
It saves money, and it’s considered safer than the use of an open fire. Electric fireplaces produce zero emissions (such as carbon monoxide created by a burning fire), and they are extremely cheap to run at less units per hour than a small fridge.
Related Resources: Solar vs Wind Energy: What’s the Difference?
How much area can an electric fireplace warm up?
The average electric fireplace can warm up at least 400 square feet.
Related Resources: Are Brown Paper Bags Compostable?
Will the front glass of an electric fireplace warm up?
In most cases, the answer is no.
Electric fireplaces produce radiating heat, but the glass is meant to stay cool. The flames you see are artificial, and the heat is meant to channel into the room.
Absolute safety is one reason that makes the electric fireplace popular for homes everywhere.
Does an electric fireplace need ventilation?
It is always a good idea to leave a small amount of space next to your electric fireplace.
Other than this, an electric fireplace will not require as much ventilation as forms of heating that produce emissions – like fuel or fire. Since nothing burns to produce heat, electric fireplaces are safe and don’t need pipes, exhausts or chimneys.
Can electric fireplaces be used outdoors?
An electric fireplace is fine to use outdoors as long as conditions are fair and dry.
Can you use an electric fireplace outside?
Yes, but ensure you take the necessary steps to ensure the fireplace is in a safe environment and is suitable for outdoor usage.
But should you leave an electric fireplace outdoors?
Best not. Electric fireplaces are meant for indoor usage. If you plan on using an electric fireplace for an extended period of time outside, ensure that the fireplace is waterproof and verified for outdoor usage.