Electricity can be essential, useful, useless, frustrating or even deadly.
Energy can be all of these things at the same time. Imagine this: electricity gave us the power to keep our lights on, but also provides the gusto that can fire up an electric chair – or start a house fire. Don’t those just sound like the perfect comedic elements?
Electricity is powerful, but electricity can also be funny.
Electricity, energy, solar energy, electricians and – just because – politicians are common as the subject of puns, jokes and one-liners. There are jokes about most careers, from doctors to writers. But it’s shocking how many jokes there are about electricity. There are a plethora of electricity puns!
We laugh at things that confuse us, scare us or affect us every day. It takes the edge off. It’s what gives comedians ammunication, and show-writers material. Sometimes, it’s what powers the comments section under an article or YouTube video – disastrously.
Electricity happens to be one of those things.
Energy is one of the world’s most precious resources, but also in short supply. This is one part of electricity that’s only funny because it’s also stressful!
There’s always time for at least one more good electricity joke.
Table of Contents
Are your electricity jokes running in short supply?
Make your way through our list of electricity puns and you’ll always have a pun ready for the next power outage. When the lights go off, fire up some of your best electricity puns – or keep them for the next family gathering or bar night when laughs are running low.
Here are 63 hilarious electricity puns you need to know, with some cool facts about electricity you didn’t know before.
See Related: Solar vs Wind Energy: What’s the Difference?
Electricity isn’t just funny, but it is also interesting.
Even though we all use electricity, a lot of people might never stop to think about where energy comes from or how it works. Have you, for example, ever wondered about how far (or fast) electricity can run? How about the strength of a static electricity charge?
Here are some interesting energy and electricity facts before we start with the funny stuff.
See Related: Electric Scooters Pros and Cons
1. Static electricity produces several thousand volts.
Static electricity can produce up to 3, 000 volts worth of electricity in a single jolt.
That’s why, when you touch static electricity, you feel a slight shock at your fingertips. Static electricity isn’t harmful, but a simple way to explain the way an electrical charge works, conducts and jumps.
What makes electricity dangerous?
Ampere, not volts, is the dangerous part.
See Related: Best Posters on Saving Earth
2. Electricity travels at the speed of light.
Electricity can move from one place to the next faster than most people could hope to blink, even if they could blink a hundred times faster. Electricity is tremendously quick – in fact, it travels at the speed of light.
In a conduit, electricity can travel at a total speed of almost 7 million miles per hour. That’s more than 186, 000 miles per second.
It’s faster than any human can hope to travel, and it’s faster than anyone could hope to run. Electricity travels faster than any river, flowing water, or mode of transport.
The speed of light means exactly this: it’s the speed at which light travels. An electrical charge travels as fast as the average light beam.
Electricity can never be outrun. While a great thing, it’s also what makes electricity pretty dangerous to work with.
See Related: Best Energy Efficient Electric Heaters
3. Electricity is dangerous too.
Electricity powers the lives of billions worldwide, and we can do a lot thanks to the wonder of electricity. But let’s never forget that electricity is dangerous – and whlie there are many jokes about electrocution, no real life electricity accident is funny.
Always take precautions when close to electricity. Never work with electricity, electrical connections, live wires or plugs unless you have been trained and certified to do it.
Electricity leads to thousands of accidents (and hundreds of preventable deaths) worldwide each year.
Sure, we might be laughing now, but always approach electricity with the care it deserves. It’s a powerful force!
See Related: Best Energy Efficient Electric Fire Places
What If I Don’t Get It?
Volts, watts, ohms… Some of the jokes in this list are for electricians, by electricians – and this means that some of the jokes might contain jargon.
If the punchline doesn’t seem to be a hit, look up the terms first!
See Related: Important Pros and Cons of Hydroelectric Energy
Where’d You Get the Jokes?
All of the jokes, puns and one-liners you’ll see here were sourced from all around the internet: a list of resources is right at the bottom of this article if you would like to go and track down some of these great electricity and energy jokes right at the source.
Jokes can be hard to source, and that’s why seven people can sometimes tell three versions of the same four jokes. Puns, jokes and one-liners just tend to get around!
See Related: Energy Conservation Techniques
63 Hilarious Electricity Puns You Need To Know
Let’s get to the best part: electricity puns.
You’ll find some of the best electricity puns, electrician jokes, energy jokes, solar power jokes and more on this list.
1. Why did the electrician marry his colleague? He couldn’t resistor.
2. Why did the university student study with the light on? He wanted to be a bright student.
3. Did you know that electricians don’t really die? They just lose contact.
4. Did you hear about the guy who stole batteries? He was charged on the spot.
5. Did you know that electricians don’t really die? They just upgrade.
6. “Don’t forget to turn off the television before you go to sleep.” “That’s okay, the power company will do it for us.
7. Electricity providers must be one of the only companies out there begging people to use less of their product every day.
8. Wind power is getting more popular. You could say that it has a lot of fans right now
9. I’ve invented a solar powered distillery. It turns sunshine into moonshine.
10. What’s a wind turbine’s favorite music? They’re big metal fans
11. How do we know we can trust the use of solar power? They don’t work in the shadows.
12. Think what you like about Tesla,but he was an electrifying conversationalist.
13. How do solar panels take their eggs? Sunny side up
14. The world needs to invest more of its efforts in solar power, but it’s not going to happen overnight.
15. How do electric cars ready for battle? They charge.
16. Why do atheists use energy saving bulbs? Because they don’t believe in a higher power
17. Why didn’t the power lines go to prom? Because they were grounded.
18. Power outages aren’t funny. It’s just too dark.
19. Hagrid: You’re a power unit, Harry. Harry: Watt?
20. I’m shocked at the cost of tasers these days.
21. I was never a very good electrician. In fact, people are shocked to find out just how bad.
22. Where do electricians go shopping? At the outlet store.
23. Why couldn’t the electrician make a proper pasta? Because the sauce was too overpowering.
24. Why did the lightbulb fail his test? Because he wasn’t too bright
25. How many data scientists does it take to change a lightbulb? We actually don’t know this yet, we’ll have to wait for the full report first.
26. Why did the plugs break up? Because there was no connection.
27. What’s the difference between light and hard? I can get to sleep with a light on.
28. I took a recent look at my life and realized things are getting very dark. Then I remembered that I didn’t pay the electricity bill.
29. What did we use for light before we needed to use candles? Electricity
30. I talked to my boss today and said that I needed a raise: Three other big companies were after me. When he asked who they were, I said, “Gas, water and electricity.”
31. “I’m attracted to people with power.” “That’s excellent. I just paid my electricity bill.”
32. What did the alcoholic do when the power went out? He had to take a shot in the dark.
33. Before the electric chair was invented, did we have to execute people with the acoustic chair instead?
34. Which beverage is the worst conduit for electricity? Coffee, because it’s grounded!
35. How many listicle writers does it take to change a lightbulb? Six, but number four will amaze you!
36. If you plant a light bulb in the garden, will you grow a power plant?
37. If you hurt someone, you can get charged with battery. But if you kill someone, you can get charged with electricity.
38. The local ice cream store can’t afford their electricity bills anymore. They’re being liquidated as we speak.
39. What’s an electrician’s favorite program? Usually, they like to keep an eye on current events.
40. A high current walks into a bar. The barman asks, why the long phase?
41. What do narcissists do to save money on their energy bill? They use gaslighting.
42. I accidentally opened my water and electric bill at the same time. I was shocked!
43. What do electricity and arsonists have in common? Both can light up a building.
44. Batman forgot to pay the electric bill. It was going to be a dark night.
45. What kind of car does an electrician drive? A volts-wagon
46. Where do electricians do most of their shopping? At Ohm Depot.
47. Imagine the days before we had access to electricity: we had to watch Netflix by candlelight.
48. Electricity is just organized lightning. (Attributed to comedian George Carlin.)
49. What do electricians chant when they meditate? Ohm.
50. When I was younger, I used to be afraid of the dark. Now that I’ve grown up and get the electricity bill, I’m more afraid of the light.
51. I finally managed to get rid of that electrical charge that’s been bugging me. I have to say, I’m ex-static.
52. With great power, comes an even greater power bill.
53. What is an electrician’s favorite dance? The electric slide.
54. An older electrician tries to make his apprentice laugh without success. Eventually, giving up, the old electrician says: “I guess my jokes are just old. Maybe I need ones that are more current.”
55. How many museum curators would it take to change a lightbulb? Four: One to change it, and another three to record that it happened.
56. How many programmers would it take to change a lightbulb? None, it’s probably a hardware problem.
57. I had to return a sweater today because it had too much static. The store gave me one free of charge.
58. What do you call a cow that jumps over an electric fence? Udder destruction.
59. Why does everyone still flick a light switch when they know that the power is off?
60. Why is electricity so expensive these days? Why does it cost so much for something I can make with a balloon and my hair? (Attributed to Dennis Miller)
61. I am an expert of electricity. My father occupied the chair of applied electricity at the state prison. (Attributed to W.C. Fields
62. The inventor of the taser just died. His family is shocked.
63. And God said, “Let there be light” and there was light, but the Electricity Board said He would have to wait until Thursday to be connected. (Attributed to Spike Milligan)